Sunday, October 23, 2011

Green Is My Favorite Color.

Haven't you noticed?  I talk about green food all the time.  If you see me on a regular basis (not at work), you may have noticed that I wear it almost exclusively.  If you have seen my closet - it's like a forest in there.  Also, I get really sentimental about all of the different shades there are of this color when I am outdoors.  This may or may not make you want to hike with me.  Anyhow, I say why not the color green?  We basically live because of the color green: i.e. trees, vegetables, V-Tech (anyone? I know at least 6 of you who will appreciate this), ect...

This particular post is my half-hearted attempt to honor the color green.  SO.  One of my favorite songs:


Notes from the start:

1.  I know what this looks like.  "Ooohhhh - green drinks, green soups - Sara, did you turn into a goat and not tell us?"  Answer?  No, this stuff is just really tasty.
2. Adapted this recipe from:  LOVE SOUP by Anna Thomas
3.  As usual, I changed the recipe a bit.  Couldn't find chard or kale, so I used spinach and arugula.  That's the nice thing about leafy greens - they substitute in and out so easily.  Added ginger.  More than just a pinch of cayenne (doi).  Also, I added less than the called for amount of veg stock (thicker soup - yum).

Green Soup
The Original
mostly from Anna Thomas

Yield: 6 servings
Difficulty: Easy
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

7oz baby spinach
7 oz wild arugula
5 green onions
1/2 c cilantro
2 T fresh ginger
Salt
3 c water
1 medium starchy potato
1 medium yellow onion
1 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 c vegetable broth
To taste: more salt, black pepper, cayenne, fresh lemon juice (about 1 T)

Wash all of your green things and cut off the stems. Chop up the green onions and ginger.  Place spinach, arugula, green onions, cilantro, and ginger in a large soup pot.  Add water and start heating.



Now, wash the potato and chop it into small chunks (the potato is here for starch - rice is also a possibility).  Add the potato to the pot, bring the water to a boil.  Lower the heat, cover, and let it simmer for about 40 minutes stirring occasionally.

It is time to chop the onions!  I cried today.  Weak.  Anyhow, heat up the olive oil in a pan, add the onions, and caramelize them until they are brown and soft.  This can take a long time, so please be patient. 

When everything is ready to come together, add the onions to the soup.  Add the chopped garlic to the pan and heat up to release the yummy smells.  Also add this to the soup and simmer for about 10 more minutes.

Add as much broth as it takes to cover the veg.  You can make this soup as thick or thin as you would like, so let your stomach be your guide.  And just like last week, ladle the soup to fill up the blender half way.  In small batches, start at a low speed to blend the soup until smooth.  Return the soup to the pot and bring it back to a simmer.



Now is the time to season.  Add salt, pepper, cayenne, and lemon juice little by little to bring out the flavors of the soup.  I like mine a little bit on the heated side.

Garnish:

- Naturally, croutons.  I used the rest of my bread from last week.  Yesssss.
- Crumbled gorgonzola cheese: oh my goodness, makes the soup.  Any crumbly cheese will do.
- Ms. Thomas insists upon a drizzle of fruity green olive oil.  Maybe I will try later on this week.



Notes at the end:

1.  This is an exciting soup.  A-WOO-hoo.
2.  You will want to double this.  It just doesn't yield as much as you will inevitably want to eat.  
3.  Share, share, share a bowl of soup with someone you love.  It's better that way.

In other news:

Occupy Boston is one of the more interesting things I have visited lately.
Made a budget today.  Responsible adult?  Indeed.
Any grand ideas on how to get a cheap flight home?  Currently in the market for just that.
Sunday ritual has turned into something perfect: time with Paula in the morning, walks, food shopping, cooking, laundry, Skype with the fam, time with Esther in the evening (usually more cooking and listening to the S Club 7 Pandora station).
Thanks for reading.  And be well.

Love ya'll.  Have a grand week.

1 comment: