Sunday, March 25, 2012

Two Treats Are Better Than One.

Let's talk about how decadent life can be. A way-too-rich chocolaty treat AND a buttery, berry bar. Yes, I am talking about the best of both worlds, having it all, etc. And also, let's discuss the balance that is involved in that. Oh, have I touched on a sore subject?

There are some basic things going on here. I have multiple amazing things happening in my life. I want to be dedicated to all of them equally (okay, not really, but I want to be healthy about it). So there are aspects of my life which TAKE UP a lot of my energy - work, friends - and things that I need more of that might GIVE ME the energy to do things more efficiently - exercise, sleep. Do you really want chocolate for every sweet treat, or do you sometimes opt for something tangy? I would almost ALWAYS choose the chocolate because it's perfect to me. However, most would agree that it is the delicate balance of sometimes choosing a tangy option that makes eating both of these so special.


Oh, food. Your lessons are endless!


Clearly, I have no answers for you as of now. This has always been the discussion, the challenge. Work and play and how to live with them. Well, today was a play-day for me. I made both. Let's make this a little more interesting though, I will give you one today and the other next week. No need to rush. I hope that you try one (or eventually both) for your own enjoyment and share it with someone you love.



Homemade Oreos
from FLOUR

To begin:

1. Instead of using that pesky refrigerator (too slow), I use the freezer to cool my dough.
2. There is a recipe for a vanilla filling, but the PB is just far superior (trust).
3. This one is actually sort of time intensive. So, pick out a movie that you don't have to pay attention to or invite a friend to chat with.

Yield: 12 (BIG) cookies
Difficulty: Moderate
Prep time: 3 hrs (including a waiting period)
Cook time: 30 min

Ingredients:

Cookies:
1 c unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
3/4 c granulated sugar
1 t vanilla extract
1 c of the darkest chocolate chips you like, melted and cooled slightly
1 egg
1 1/2 c flour
3/4 c Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t baking soda
Vanilla Peanut butter cream filling:
6 T unsalted butter
3/4 c confectioner's sugar
3/4 c creamy peanut butter
3 T heavy cream


First make the cookies as they will have to harden for a while before baking.

Grab a bowl and whisk together the butter and sugar. Add vanilla and cooled chocolate. Add the egg last and make sure that it is fully incorporated. (Use a stand mixer or do all of this by hand.) 


In a separate bowl, stir the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda together. Use a wooden spoon to stir the flour dry ingredients into the wet ones. The consistency will be like Play-Doh. Let it firm for about an hour at room temperature (you may or may not be super impatient - like me - and you may or may not throw it in the freezer for 15 min instead).




Take out a large piece of parchment paper. Shape the dough into a rough log with your hands (about 10 in long, 2 1/2 in diameter). Place the log on the parchment paper and roll it up. Keep rolling and unrolling until the log becomes smooth. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until firm (again, the freezer?). Every 15 min take the log out to re-roll it as it may settle a bit and flatten on one side.



Heat oven to 325 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the dough into 1/4 in thick slices and place about 1 in apart on the baking sheet. Place this on a rack in the center of the oven.

Bake for 20-25 min or until the cookies are firm. Check them after 15 min by poking them. 

Let them cool completely. Fill them once cooled (or the filling will become melty - don't think I haven't tried).

Filling time:

Make this while you are waiting for the dough to harden in the fridge.

Beat the butter until smooth. Add confectioners sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth, again. Add the heavy cream. That's it!



Scoop about a tablespoon of filling onto the bottom of one cookie and top with another cookie. Press them together. Stuff into mouth. Enjoy nirvana.



Ending notes:

1. These are some of my favorite cookies in the whole world right now. Also, you really can't have more than once - it's a lot to take.
2. Next time: Mom's Triple Berry Jam & Shortbread Bar.
3. Enough said.

So, any musings on the delicate balance of life? I would love to discuss it with any or all of you. Most importantly, my favorite part of posting has come. This is the part where I make sure that you know how much I miss and/or love you all very dearly. 

Have a fantastic week!

No comments:

Post a Comment